October 21, 2012

Asparagus and Eggs

Today I want to share another one of my favorite meals my Dutch host mom made: hard-boiled eggs with poached asparagus!

Asparagus is a vegetable I've known and loved from childhood, but this paring was new to me. It's  fresh and simple, with minimal ingredients. All that is required is some fresh asparagus, eggs, salt and pepper. 


First hard-boil the eggs. I usually count on three eggs per person. While the eggs are cooking, poach the asparagus in a large skillet, turning the asparagus with a fork. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender. 

I love watching them turn such a beautiful, bright green color!


Sprinkle the eggs and asparagus with salt and pepper to taste. My family liked to mash up the eggs, cut the asparagus into bite-size pieces, and mix it all together. 

What makes this meal special is the egg-cracking competition which takes place beforehand. Everyone chooses their egg and tries to crack the others' eggs by knocking them together. 

The last egg standing wins. 




Who ever said you can't play with your food?

scb




No comments:

Post a Comment